Monday, April 30, 2012

Cursed Basil!


Sometimes I wonder what I'm going to do with me.

Until yesterday, I had planted two whole seed packets of basil this year without getting a single sprout. Now I was getting a little upset about it, and the kids were too, so I told them that they should ask their Pap what we are doing wrong.

See, I remember my dad telling me that when you plant basil, you have to stomp and cuss. I even gave a half-hearted little curse and sort of lifted my foot a little after we planted the second seed pack. And sure enough, when the kids asked him about it he said, “You have to stomp and cuss when you plant basil.” But then he looked at me and said, “It can’t be pretend, either.”

OF COURSE, the kids wanted to help then! So I picked up a couple different brands of Genovese basil seeds, and this weekend, we gave it a try. Before we started, I gave the kids a free pass for cussing - while planting basil only! - a privilege that was quickly revoked! They each only had two turns before I called my own foul. I won’t even repeat the things they said!

I did, however, mark the little section of seed starter that we did Pap's way… just to see if it makes a difference! 

1 comment:

  1. Five out of six of the basil we planted using Pap's method sprouted and are doing well!

    ReplyDelete