Friday, April 27, 2012

Let Me Show You Around


Mammaw's Miracle Bleeding Hearts


This poor flower has survived this growing season, which began in February, through several frosts and broken stems - and even last week's out-of-nowhere snow! If you look closely, you can see a couple of the flowers have been 'blanched' by Mother Nature, but this flower has Mammaw's spirit: she is nothing if not a survivor.

A lot of my childhood days were spent here with Mammaw and Pappaw. Although *some* of what she taught me sank in, I sure was stubborn! I was never an eager student of botany until luck (fate? my fiance?) brought me back home to the family farmstead last summer. I've learned a lot, but I have quite a ways to go.


Freak of the Week: Late April Snow Threatens Blooms

The winter wonderland pic was taken on April 23.

This poor azalea bush has been put through the ringer this year, too. In February, when we had our first stretch of 70-degree weather, I gave her what I thought was a much-needed haircut. It seems to have been not-the-best timing though, because the branches I pruned are blooming weeks later than the rest. (Out of respect for this proud azalea, I will only be showing pictures from her good side.)

And here she is, just four days later. April 27, 2012. 


I think the snow being SO heavy and wet probably saved the flowers from the freezing overnight weather. And you were so SCARED! 

Here are some more flowers from the same bed:



These columbines are PROLIFIC! For two years I have been giving away volunteer columbines and hostas that have sprouted in the yard. I call them 'jumpers,' but that seems a little dramatic. (Did someone call Me?! Dramatic?!?!)


Meet Mrs. Bradshaw. My son adopted this geum from Lowe's last year. (Good choice, Quentin!) My daughter chose strawberries, but we have a little issue with a family of groundhogs...

One more survivor before I sign off:



Mom loves to tell this story: "One year your Uncle Paul David didn't have money for a Mother's Day gift, so he walked down to the river and came back with this dogwood tree."

He is no longer with us either, but (just like with all of Mammaw's beloved flowers) his memories live on -- literally!

3 comments:

  1. At least there wasn't a monster at the end of your blog. - hehehehe! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that the Mrs. Bradshaw geum looks like she's taking a bow.

    ReplyDelete